Friday, April 26, 2013

February 28 Contingency Plans


Ed and I have some of our most interesting conversations in bed.  Last night, I said, “Would you still love me if I murdered somebody?”
He said, “Yeah.”

Then I said, “If I got caught but had a chance for parole, would wait for me?”
He said, “Sure, why not?”

I said, “Do you think your mother would help out with the kids?  Maybe she could even move in.  You could put Cilla in with Betsey and give her Cilla’s room.  Or maybe you could move the girls into our room and take Betsey’s, since there’d be two of them and one of you.  Unless you wanted to leave everything just as I left it for when I got out.”
Every once in while Ed will say something surprising.  “Well, by the time you got out, you’d need new clothes, since your old things would be out of style.”

I had an idea. “If the trial was sensational enough, you could sell them.”  Suddenly I felt very generous, since Ed was willing to wait for me. “You can sell all my stuff, except my Barbara Pym books.  That could help pay the lawyers.”
“Oh, I don’t know, Charlie.  That might upset the kids.  Maybe I could just write a book.”
And they say accountants don’t have any imagination!





No comments:

Post a Comment