Monday, August 4, 2014

Memories Monday -- Strategy Session

I always dread the end of the Christmas season, when things are going to go back to normal, except that the weather is terrible.   But a few days after Epiphany, when it seems like Christmas had never happened, I feel relieved.  I always think things will slow down and I can relax a little.  Once in a while, things are quiet for a day or so.

Karen and Nikki and I got together to see if we’d made any progress in our investigations.  They had tried to get in touch with Margaret with a Ouija board on Halloween.  “The candle acted really weird. The flame kept going up and down.  But that’s about all.  I think the problem was that she didn’t know us.  She probably would have talked to you.”

I am afraid of Ouija boards.  I read that they are a gateway for evil spirits.  Karen and Nikki think that’s crazy, but I don’t think they have any room to talk.

Nikki had not had much luck with the stores in Margaret’s neighborhood.  “You really can’t strike up a casual conversation with someone and say, ‘By the way, did Margaret Edwards ever come in here and what did she buy?  And who do you think whacked her?’  Maybe I should have said I was a cop.”
“You could have gotten arrested.” I’m glad she hadn’t.  Ed would have had a fit if I had had to bail her out.

Karen had had some luck.  She was getting to know people at the Methodist church.  “I’m still getting the feel of the place.  I mostly know the Sunday School moms and they weren’t buddies with Margaret.  I’ve got to cultivate the old ladies.”

“Offer to help at Coffee Hour,” Nikki advised. “Next month it’ll be a year since she died.  You could bring it up.  Find out who the biggest gossip is.  And don’t forget the old guys.  They’d be thrilled to have you pay attention to them.  Have any of them hit on you?”
“Nikki, what do you think goes on in churches?”

“The same things that go on everywhere else.”
When I thought it over, I saw she was right.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment