Friday, April 12, 2013

A Choice of Obsequies


February 18  A Choice of Obsequies

Funerals always make me think of the King and the Duke in Huckleberry Finn and the Duke’s talk about “funeral orgies.”  (He meant “obsequies.”)  I’ve found that it’s better to think of that before the obsequies than in the middle of them.
I don’t know whether to go to the viewing or the funeral.  To go to both seems ghoulish.  And it might make people wonder why I was so interested.
I’m not sure what to wear. I don’t think anyone would expect a dress in February.  Only a member of the family - or perhaps the murderer - would make that much effort.  Maybe my nice pants and a turtleneck.  I’ll have to notice what everyone wears. 
I think I’ll just do the viewing.  That way it won’t look like I was trying to get out of work.  And since it’s at night, it will save vacation time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment