Sunday, April 21, 2013

February 23 Only one cop?


Today two detectives came to the library and questioned everybody.  They called us into the conference room one by one.  It was like waiting to be called into the principal’s office.  (Not that that ever happened to me.)  Afterwards we milled around comparing notes.  Not much work got done.
To save time, I guess, and probably because we looked like a pretty tame bunch, everyone was interviewed by one officer.  Mine looked like Stephen Colbert and called me Mrs. McDonald.  He seemed interested that I had lunch with Margaret.  What did we talk about? (Books, movies, my children, her niece and nephews.)  Had I ever been to her house?   (I hadn’t.  They didn’t take my fingerprints just to make sure.)  He thanked me and said I’d been helpful, though I wondered if knowing Margaret’s tastes in literature (classic English novels and “cozy” mysteries) and tea (lemon and Sweet and Low) would help.

Not only did he not tell me not to leave town, he didn’t even call me back about “one more thing I forgot to ask,” like Columbo used to. 
The kids were disappointed.  So were Nikki and Karen.  We’re going to get together again on Friday.  Maybe I’ll have something more to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment