Thursday, April 11, 2013

February 17 Evidently


The police came and took all of Margaret’s stuff for evidence.   She had some library books and they took them too.  They’ll probably run up a big fine.  I mentioned it at dinner, and Ed said, “You think of the damnedest things.”

Josh and Cilla both squealed, “Daddy said ‘Damn!’”  I’m glad they got a charge out of it.

Betsey put on her mildly-amused-but-exasperated look. 

I said, “Maybe you can write a book, My Wife Says the Darnedest Things.

Josh and Cilla looked disappointed.

Betsey rolled her eyes.  “Maybe you could write a blog, Dad.”

“Or you could,” I said.  She didn’t know what to say to that.

“Well, the library could bill the estate.”  Ed said.  “Anyway, they can’t charge more than the price of the book, so it won’t hurt the inheritance.”   He was only half joking; he is an accountant.

I thought of the future crime buffs taking books out of the library and wondering if Margaret had ever read or even touched them. 

Maybe I do think of the damnedest things, but how can I tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment