Sunday, February 28, 2016

A Note to the Reader -- And a Bonus

Now you know what has happened "previously on Meet the McDonalds."  Starting next week, new episodes will appear weekly (depending my Charlie's life and my imagination), with occasional marathons of related posts in place of Memories Monday, which was getting confusing even to me.

To hold you over:




Word Choice
Alice Barrett

My parents died.
My dogs and cats passed away.
My old loves kicked off.
(And not a minute too soon;
It served them right,)

My favorite professor was killed;
His car went over a cliff. 
"He offed himself," we said.

How will they phrase it
When I’m no longer here?


 Light in a Churchyard

Alice Barrett

In the early autumn late afternoon,
Tea-stained gold sunlight
Splashes through the umbrella
Of the magnolia’s leaves,
Into the birdbath
Between the chapel
And the parish hall.
  
Although best known for her fiction (The Story Lovers, The Cod), Alice Barrett first came to attention through her poetry.  Her collections include Rings on Tables and Hoping for Lies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment