Thursday, May 15, 2014

Reflections on Relief

I don’t know why, but the kids always seem to be the most philosophical in the car.  I was driving Cilla and Veronica to Girls Scouts when I heard Veronica say, “You ask her.”  I held my breath, but Cilla just giggled.  Finally my curiosity got the best of me.  “What did you want to ask me?”

“Well, I was going to ask Grandma Kate, but maybe you know.  Did the Blessed Virgin Mother go the bathroom?”  Then she and Veronica giggled again.
“Of course, she did.  Everybody does.”

Veronica piped up, “My sister says nuns don’t go to the bathroom.  And the Blessed Virgin Mother is holier than nuns.”
Cilla didn’t agree with that.  “But they weren’t always nuns.  So they had to do it before they became nuns.”

Veronica thought about it.  “But the Blessed Virgin mother was holy before she had Jesus.  So she would have never had to.”
I had to say something, if only from a parent’s point of view.  “But if a baby or child never went to the bathroom, her mother would have been very worried and taken her to the doctor.  And when it didn’t make her sick, it would have been a miracle and would have turned up in the Bible.” 

I could see Cilla shaking her head in the mirror.  “They might not have put it in the Bible because it wasn’t nice talk.”
I really don’t think the Gospel writers were that squeamish, but I didn’t have the energy or the theological training to go there.  So I changed the subject.  “What about Jesus?  Did he go to the bathroom?”

“Oh, sure.  He was a boy.”  Even being the Son of God wouldn’t stop boys from going to the bathroom.  They enjoy it too much.
“But what about God?”  Veronica asked.

“Well, God’s a boy.”  Fortunately, we were at meeting.  I could see where this was going, so I was really relieved.
Since I hadn’t become a Christian until I was in college, I had never wondered about that.  But I’m still on the fence about Jackie Kennedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment