Monday, May 19, 2014

Memories Monday -- A Break in the Case

There has been, as they say in the classic detective movies, a break in the case.

The police have released the information that Margaret had let the killer into her house.  So she had to have known him or her.  I can’t imagine her opening the door for someone she didn’t know.  I can’t imagine anyone going to Margaret’s house without being invited or at least calling first.

I can imagine what her house was like.  Victorian and very neat.  She could put something down somewhere and have it be there when she wanted it.  I can’t imagine what that’s like.

The news came as a relief to everyone.  Margaret had done something.  But no one at the library could imagine what.  Margaret didn’t seem to have any personal life.  She was like a character in one of those depressing “realistic” spy movies.  But then, like a spy, she had a hidden life.  Could she have been a spy?  Was she having an affair?  Was she blackmailing someone? 
 
Karen thinks she was having an affair.

My friend Nicole thinks there’s money behind it. 

I don’t know.  I guess everyone who knew her is a suspect, so that includes me.

Since I didn’t do it, that’s kind of exciting.

Ed thinks that’s crazy, but as I told him, craziness is part of my charm.  He grunted.

The police came and took all of Margaret’s stuff for evidence.   She had some library books and they took them too.  They’ll probably run up a big fine.  I mentioned it at dinner, and Ed said, “You think of the damnedest things.”

Josh and Cilla both squealed, “Daddy said ‘Damn!’”  I’m glad they got a charge out of it.

Betsey put on her mildly-amused-but-exasperated look. 

I said, “Maybe you can write a book, My Wife Says the Darnedest Things.
Josh and Cilla looked disappointed.

Betsey rolled her eyes.  “Maybe you could write a blog, Dad.”

“Or you could,” I said.  She didn’t know what to say to that.

“Well, the library could bill the estate.”  Ed said.  “Anyway, they can’t charge more than the price of the book, so it won’t hurt the inheritance.”   He was only half joking; he is an accountant.

I thought of the future crime buffs taking books out of the library and wondering if Margaret had ever read or even touched them. 

Maybe I do think of the damnedest things, but how can I tell?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment