Thursday, May 1, 2014

Kate Promotes Healing


Kate invited Missy to the Rectory for lunch with lots of wine and a butter cake (Janet’s favorite) for dessert.  She also put out M & M’s, since Janet had told her that she had kept them around the house in lieu of baking cookies for the children and she and Missy used to eat them with their coffee.  Janet told me that Missy had “gotten a snootful” and cried when she saw the M & M’s, to which Kate added, “And she wasn’t the only one.”
I asked what Doug thought of all this and Janet said Missy told her that he had other interests.  “If you know what I mean.”

I said, “Do you mean sports?”
“No, Charlie.  The same interests he had when we were married.”  She looked at Kate.  “You see, I’m not in denial.”

Kate shook her head.  “I don’t know how she gets along in the world.”  She whispered in my ear, as if she thought I’d be embarrassed, “He fools around.”
“Well, what can she expect?”  I said.  “If they fool around with you, they’ll fool around on you.”
For some reason they both looked surprised.

“I’m not as innocent as people think, you know.”
Janet reached over and patted my hand.  “Of course you’re not, dear.  No one could be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment