Monday, June 1, 2015

Memories Monday -- Ed Weighs In -- From Charlie's Diary


Ed Googled “Jesus and pigs” and now he can’t figure out why Jesus did it.  And what about the owners of the herd?  That was their livelihood.  That wasn’t right.
I felt a certain satisfaction when he brought it up last night.  I’m usually the one who starts the discussions.  I didn’t comment on the validity of the question, partly because I’m too polite and also because it had occurred to me, too.

“Can you imagine what would happen today if someone did that to somebody’s business?”  he sputtered.
“They would have sued him before you could say knife.”

“Damn right.”
“Sorry, God.”

“Charlie, you don’t need to apologize to God for me.”
I didn’t say anything.

“All right.  I’m sorry, God.”
“I’m just surprised they didn’t take it to the Pharisees.  They would have loved it.”

“But the Pharisees wouldn’t have cared, because pigs were unclean anyway and the owners would have been Gentiles, who didn’t count.”
“But it would have been a chance to get Jesus.”

“Yeah, they missed an opportunity there.”
“Don’t mention that to Betsey.  She’ll be even more upset.”

Then Ed had an idea.  “Listen, Charlie.  Why don’t you go to Kate or Father Mike and tell them that you’re upset, because you are.  Then at least we’d have something to tell Betsey.”
“Why don’t you?”

“You’re more comfortable with clergy.”
“You’ve been a Christian longer than I have.”

I knew I’d have to be the one to do it.  But I was afraid I’d break down and say it was really Betsey.
Then I had a thought, “Don’t you remember anything about it?  After all those years in Sunday School?”

“I never paid attention.  I thought church was a bore.  By the time I got to college, I was practically an atheist.”
I was surprised to hear that. “But I met you at the college Episcopalian group.”

“Oh . . . well, I saw you around and I thought you were cute.  So I asked some people and somebody told me you went there.”
It was almost worth having the problem with Betsey to hear that.  But we still don’t know what to do.







No comments:

Post a Comment