Monday, May 25, 2015

Memories Monday -- Betsey's Rebellion -- Part Three -- With an Additional Scene -- From Charlie's Diary


Betsey has gone from feeling bad that she doesn’t like Jesus to being rebellious.  Fortunately, she isn’t questioning doctrine.  She just thinks Jesus is “mean.”  Cilla is very concerned and wants me to “please, please, please” call Kate.  I told her that we couldn’t tell anybody because Betsey had asked us not to.  Josh suggested that I tell Kate I was asking for a friend.  I said that pastors get this a lot and can see through it.  Cilla said maybe Nikki could pretend it was her daughter and that she was embarrassed to talk to her own minister.  I said that not only would that be lying, but it would be getting another person to lie, which is even worse.

Last night, Betsey refused to eat her pork chop.  Ed said, "Jesus Christ," which amused Josh and Cilla, but Betsey just looked at him, waiting for one of us to try to force her to eat it, which I would never do, because I've promised myself I'm not going to give the children food issues and have them complain about it to their therapists for the rest of their lives.

"Okay," I said, I said brightly.  "More for the rest of us."  But Cilla had to ask Betsey why.

Before Betsey could say anything, which would probably have included "Duh" or "Moron",  Josh said, "You know, the poor pigs."

That thought hadn't occurred to Cilla.  "I don't want mine, either."

Ed looked like he was about to say something, but I said, "Okay, even more."

Josh wanted to know if they were never going to eat any meat again. 

That hadn't occurred to Cilla either.  While she seemed to be making up her mind, I said, "You know, that includes hamburgers and hot dogs."

Cilla looked like she was thinking, "What have I done?"

Josh took pity on her.  "When we go to McDonald's, you can get fries.  And you can pick the pepperoni off your pizza."

A lot of people might call me wishy washy, but I believe in letting the kids make their own decisions as long as it isn't dangerous.  It's a lot easier than arguing with them.  "You can make yourselves cheese sandwiches,"  I said, congratulating myself that I didn't offer to make them.

Betsey sighed.  "Cows are exploited to get dairy products."

"There goes ice cream."  Josh was enjoying himself.

Cilla's mouth was hanging open.  She looked at me.  

"All right, Joshua, enough is enough."

"I'm just trying to help her make an informed decision."

"We appreciate that, but let's talk about something else."  I couldn't think of anything, so I said, "Who wants more potatoes?"  

Fortunately, Betsey didn't realize there is milk in mashed potatoes.  I guess she forgot about the butter. 
 
I always saw Betsey as the reserved, sensible child, but now I think she’s as intense as Cilla, but quiet about it, which can make a person even more intense.  I just don’t know how she’s going to get along in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment