Monday, March 23, 2015

Beautiful!




The wedding was beautiful.  The weather was beautiful.  The church was beautiful.  The Parish Hall was beautiful.  The brides were beautiful.  The bridesmaids and flower girl were beautiful.  The junior ushers were beautiful.  Nobody spilled anything on themselves or had to go to the bathroom just before it was time to walk down the aisle.  (Betsey and Courtney, who had been watching wedding movies for weeks, had been concerned that they were going to have to help the brides go to the bathroom.  But the dresses were tea length, so it wasn’t necessary.  I told them I would take care of holding back anybody’s hair if she was throwing up.)
Ed ended up taking Kate and Janet down the aisle at the same time.  Kate said she needed someone to grab onto and she was afraid she would knock Janet over.  Ed said he had finger marks dug into both his arms.
 The Peace took fifteen minutes.  By the end of the ceremony, everyone over the age of twenty was crying, except the priest and the brides, who were beaming. 
The reception was beautiful.  The parishioners had outdone themselves with the food.  Everyone brought his or her specialty, so it was a giant potluck.
One of the ladies from Epiphany came up to me and said how lovely the children had looked and did my family have a church home?
“Oh, yes.  We go to Trinity.”
“Oh . . . Well, I’m sure it’s very nice.  I hope your enjoyed our service.  We really go all out.”
Kate saw what was happening and came over.  “Evelyn, you look lovely.  Did you try Dominick’s little quiches?  You know he’ll want your opinion.”
“Oh, of course.  Now don’t be a stranger,” she said to me as she hurried off.
“I was afraid this would happen,” Kate apologized.  “I should have said something to them about sheep stealing.”
I just laughed.  “We just have to keep them away from Cilla.”  I was not ready for “Please, please, please can we go to Grandma Kate’s church?” probably with some doctrinal arguments. 
I had been worrying about my father and Doug.  But I guess their mutual dislike of Janet made a bond.  Since Doug is not a dancer, my father even danced with Missy.
There were two bouquets to catch.  Cilla, and Courtney dragged my father up, and he caught Janet’s.   “Yet another grandmother to come,” Karen remarked to me.
“What's one more?,” I said.  “But her daughter can do the wedding.” 

 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment