Sunday, June 18, 2017

Ed -- the Dad and the Legend


Ed just snorted whenever anyone brought up the election.



"Just because I'm not carrying on, doesn't mean I don't care."  That's one of Ed's favorite lines. 



Betsey and her friends Izzy (Isabella) and Sam  (Samantha) want to be the Khardashian sisters.  It involves buying long wigs and short dresses. "And you know, Mom, we'll be able to wear the dresses after Halloween"

"Just like a bridesmaid's gown."  That was lost on her.


Ed is not a fan.  When Betsey told him, he Googled the Khardashians.  He didn't say much, but later he said he was glad that at least they weren't going to pad their butts.







The carnival is still going on, and naturally Ed and I try to take the kids every year.  They sit in the back seat playing video games and asking if we are there yet.  Ed, who can be quite literal at times, says, “No.  We are on the way.  If we were there the car wouldn’t be moving.”
“What if you’re parking the car?  Is that being there?”
Josh had him on that.
“It depends on what you mean by being and what you mean by there.”


After everyone had gone to bed, I was lying awake thinking about the olives and the picnics at my grandmother’s and Aunt Pooh’s houses.  “Isn’t it funny how my mother is remembered for her remark about olives [being so festive]?"

“You ought to have it put on her tombstone.”
I knew Ed was joking, but I wondered what my mother would have thought of that.  I hate to say it, but humor wasn’t her strong point.

I suddenly had a thought.  What were the grandchildren going to call me?  “What do you want our grandchildren to call you?”
“Charlie.  Seriously?”
“Grandma is fine for me, since that’s what I called my grandmother and that’s what they call three of their grandmothers.  Janet might not like them using the same name they did for Missy."

I had another idea.  “Maybe one of the grandchildren will have a cute name for me before he or she can really talk and everyone will use it.  Karen calls her grandmother Noo Noo.  It’s a long story.”

“Fine.  I’ll speak to the first grandchild about it.”




Ed Googled “Jesus and pigs” and now he can’t figure out why Jesus did it.  And what about the owners of the herd?  That was their livelihood.  That wasn’t right.

I felt a certain satisfaction when he brought it up last night.  I’m usually the one who starts the discussions.  I didn’t comment on the validity of the question, partly because I’m too polite and also because it had occurred to me, too.
“Can you imagine what would happen today if someone did that to somebody’s business?”  he sputtered.
“They would have sued him before you could say knife.”
“Damn right.”
“I’m just surprised they didn’t take it to the Pharisees.  They would have loved it.”

“But the Pharisees wouldn’t have cared, because pigs were unclean anyway and the owners would have been Gentiles, who didn’t count.”
“But it would have been a chance to get Jesus.”
“Yeah, they missed an opportunity there.”


“I never paid attention [in Sunday School].  I thought church was a bore.  By the time I got to college, I was practically an atheist.”

I was surprised to hear that. “But I met you at the college Episcopalian group.”

“Oh . . . well, I saw you around and I thought you were cute.  So I asked some people and somebody told me you went there."



 

 

Ed got me these horse head squirrel feeders for Valentine's Day.  I got him socks with hearts.

.







 













































"







 




.















No comments:

Post a Comment