Monday, December 8, 2014

Memories Monday -- Reflective Discussion at Midnight

“You know,” I said to Ed last night, “If I were Rudolph, I would have told the other reindeer to bug
off since they’d been so mean to me.”

“Oh, dear God!”

“Wouldn’t you?”

Ed sighed.  “I don’t know.  But it was Santa who asked him.  I would have done it for him. ”

“Of course, you’ve always been a team player.  I never played team sports.  But it would be hard to turn Santa down.  I bet the other reindeer were still nasty to him as soon as they got back to the North Pole, though.”

“Can’t you talk about this stuff with the kids or Karen and Nikki?”

“You’d think Santa would have put a stop to it.  I guess he was too busy.  Maybe he didn’t even notice.  You can sit and watch TV when the kids are fighting in the next room.”

“Maybe he thought it was best to let them work it out for themselves.”

That is a good idea sometimes, especially when you’re too tired to do anything.

Then I thought of something else.  “What if the next Christmas Eve wasn’t foggy?  They wouldn’t need Rudolph.”

“You do know that this is just a story?”

“Oh sure.  The only real Santa’s reindeer are Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen.  But it’s fun to pretend.”

Ed laughed.  “Well, maybe what’d I’d do would be to eat a lot of beans before we took off.”

I didn’t get it at first.  Then I did.  I had to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment