Monday, November 10, 2014

Memories Monday -- We're Marching to Zion with a Stopoff in Rome

I’ve always prided myself on the fact that “We’ll have to think about it” doesn’t mean “no”.  Sometimes, though, it is a stalling tactic when I’m hoping the kids will forget about whatever it is they’re asking for, when I know I’ll say yes.  I think it worked once.
But when I told Cilla that we would have to think about her joining the Catholic Church, I was really stalling to give myself time to get used to the idea.  If she really wanted to do it, I knew I’d have to let her.

We decided that she would attend the services (“Mass”, as she called it) and go to religious instruction classes on Wednesday nights.  Then, after a year, if she still wanted to, she could do First Communion.  I could tell that she wanted to ask about the party but was afraid that might make me change my mind.  “And we’ll have the party.  But the money presents will go in your college fund.”
Cilla squealed with joy and rushed off to call Veronica and her grandparents.

I confessed to Karen that I felt a little bit guilty “only thinking about the party and presents,” which I’m sure the children are warned about.  Was I not being respectful of the Catholic Church and not remembering that “It’s all one God?”
She said I was probably angry about the whole thing and had issues about Cilla, “the baby”, getting older and being so independent and that I shouldn’t be surprised if I got pregnant again.

“Good one,” I said.

Anyway, I called the church and Cilla, Ed, and I have appointment to talk to a priest.  Ed fussed that they would probably want a retainer fee on top of Cilla’s bringing an offering every week and something for the classes.
I said maybe we’d make it up with the presents.  “ Short term, maybe,” he said, “but probably not net.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment