Monday, October 20, 2014

Memories Monday -- You Have to Be In to Be Outted

Dear Readers:  It just occurred to me that you might think I outted Kate and Janet in my last post.  Not to worry;   you have to be in to be outted.
Kate called to thank me for mentioning her in my blog.  “So far we’ve gotten two new couples at Epiphany.”  Then Janet got on and said she burst out laughing when she read it, because I had “nailed” Kate.  “She talks that way all the time. Once she told me to ‘be mindful’ of something.  I said, ‘Cut the Pastor talk’ and she said ‘I’m sorry; what I meant was ‘Keep your head out of your behind and pay attention’ in her Therapist voice.  And she wasn’t being sarcastic, either.  She doesn’t believe in sarcasm.”
 “She didn’t think I meant it in a nasty way, did she?”
“Bless her heart, she didn’t notice.  By the way, what does your dad think of all this?  Or haven’t you told him?”
“Cilla did.  He said something about chickens coming home to roost and now I knew how my mother felt.”
“Good old Jack.  Mr. Liberal unless it’s his family.”
“I told him she’s probably getting a good laugh up there.  He just shook his head.”

Janet and my father have been sparring ever since Ed and I got engaged.  They’re like Spencer Tracey and Katharine Hepburn in those old movies, except they won’t fall in love at the end.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment