Monday, April 21, 2014

A Puzzling Conversation


The Easter service was very nice.  Unlike last year, Josh’s shirt stayed tucked in and Ed remembered to zip his pants.  But something weird happened afterward.

I had everyone over for Easter dinner.  Kate says she feels like a rock star who just got back from a world tour after Holy Week, so we let her sit and wait on her, while Janet helps me in the kitchen.  I don’t know how restful it is to have kids fighting over who will sit by you and have the youngest one in your lap, but she seems to enjoy it.

I was in the den getting something, when I noticed my father talking to her.  Usually he and Ed talk about sports and look for games on TV.  “You know, Kate, for a minister you really are pretty sensible.”

Before Kate could say thank you, he said, “Don’t you think you could do better for yourself?  Oh, I don’t mean a man,” he said hastily.  “I mean better than Janet.”

Kate sighed like a mother who has just been told for the hundredth time that her kid doesn’t like peas.  “Why do you have such a problem with Janet?  I think she’s nice.”  Sometimes it’s hard to tell when Kate is being ironic.

“She allowed her son to marry Charlie when she was just out of college.  And she keeps saying she prays for me.”

“I told her that if she does she won’t find you so annoying.  I don’t think it’s working yet, though.”

“She probably isn’t trying hard enough.”

“I’ll speak to her about it.” I couldn’t believe that Kate was teasing my father.  I don’t know if he was getting it.

“You know, Missy is heartbroken and feels guilty because of that mess.  I told her that Janet feels she did her a favor.”

“I certainly hope so.”

“Can you talk to her?”

“Missy?”

“No, your wife.”

“I prefer ‘life partner,’ since wives have always been treated so badly.”

“Well, can you?”

“Well, it would be healing, and I can’t refuse to promote healing. . . Does this make me a wing person?”

“Good one, Katie.”

It’s been six months since my father talked to Missy at the wedding.  Has he been talking to her since then?  Fortunately she’s married, so I don’t have to worry about whether she’ll have a problem with staying with the kids while we go to the midnight service on Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment